Green tea ice cream is a delicious and refreshing treat that combines the flavors of green tea and cream. While traditional green tea ice cream is made with matcha powder, it’s possible to make a unique twist on the classic by using oolong tea. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making your own green tea ice cream using oolong tea and provide a recipe for you to try at home.
Before we get started, it’s important to note that the key to making the ice cream tea is to extract as much flavor as possible from the tea leaves. To do this, we’ll be brewing a strong oolong tea and infusing it into the cream mixture before freezing.
To make your own green tea ice cream using oolong tea, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons of loose leaf oolong tea or 6 tea bags
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Here’s the step-by-step process for making your own green tea ice cream using oolong tea:
- Brew a strong oolong tea by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil and adding 4 tablespoons of loose leaf tea or 6 tea bags. Steep the tea for 3-5 minutes, depending on the desired strength.
- Remove the tea leaves or tea bags and let the tea cool to room temperature.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, and sugar. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- While the cream mixture is heating, whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl until they are light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Add the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the brewed tea and vanilla extract.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the mixture is chilled, churn it in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
Green tea ice cream made with oolong tea will have a unique flavor profile, blending the floral and fruity notes of oolong with the creamy sweetness of ice cream. Feel free to play around with the amount of tea used to adjust the intensity of the tea flavor to your liking.
It’s also important to note that ice cream made with raw eggs may carry a risk of salmonella, so be sure to use pasteurized eggs or cook the mixture to 160F to kill any bacteria.
Making your own green tea ice cream using oolong tea is a fun and rewarding process, and the end result is a delicious and refreshing treat. Whether you’re a fan of oolong tea or just looking for a unique twist on traditional ice cream of green tea, this recipe is sure to please. Give it a try and enjoy the unique flavor of oolong ice cream.